View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
I have tuned a lot of carbs that had been other places---In most cases I look to see what jets, power valves, squirters are in them and look at Holleys specs to see what they built them with---generally they will be way off from the settings built by the factory----putting them back to stock( with the exception of pv which I do by vacume ) usually will make most of the problems go away and gives me a good starting point for dialing them in---Lots of carb problems are also fuel pressure or timing curve related----
I do the exact same thing...Have 2 big Holley books in the shop that I refer to all the time...one is a very comprehensive "spec book" and the other is a re-build book.......It's amazing what I've seen in some "used" Holleys....Different floats on each side and some holes drilled in wierd places....The only carbs I have had major problems with are the vac. sec. Avenger line of carbs, for some reason, there seems to alway be a small problem that can't be worked out of them....
To me, double pumpers are the easiest to work on and tune,that's why I like them over the vac. sec. carbs.....
David