View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
I've got the Finishline over riders. The brackets you talk about are the ones for front mounting. The front over riders, when new, do not have mounting holes in them, you have to drill them, then bolt them to the bracket. The rears have a plate, through which the thread rod goes.
Thanks! That makes sense. Finishline isn't very descriptive on their website, only saying this:

"Chrome on brass bumper overriders. Used on front and rear. Open back. OEM Type Fit 289 Cobra and 427 Cobra. Each. Need to order four for complete car."

Since I already have the front two, it sounds like I need to be specific regarding which two I need when I order....is that right?

I do have a large drill press with a good clamp, which makes drilling holes much easier, but otherwise I am not too experienced with fabricating, so creating a mounting bracket from scratch is a stretch for me. Just trying to make sure I don't get stuck with $150 worth of product I can't use, or even if Finishline will accept the return, have to pay the shipping both ways for a product I can't use.

Thanks so much for the replies so far! If anyone has a photo of the bracket supplied with the rear over-riders, or if a bracket has to be fabbed, how they made theirs, I'd sure appreciate seeing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQCYCLEWERKES View Post
I just installed Finishline overiders on my Backdraft. They had strap steel type mounts welded to the inside of the overiders which were threaded. All I had to do was locktite the threaded mounting rods to the overiders and slip them thru the body and into the mounts on the frame. I had to fabricate longer rods though out of grade 8 threaded stock as the orig rods were too short and were up against the body even before they went into the frame mount. Not to difficult a job just had to be patient so not to scratch the body or damage the fiberglass. Good luck and enjoy. I mounted my overiders so they were approx 1/8" from hitting the fiberglass. I liked the up close sleek look more then the extended look which would give it more protection. Just a matter of choice though.
It sounds like your over-riders were mounted directly to the frame, without having the back bumper. Is that correct?

Here is a photo of the manner in which my bumper attaches to the frame. While most of you probably have only two bolts, there are three on mine. The upper and lower bolts attach the bumper to a bracket and the center bolt attaches the bracket to the frame.

Here is a side view, so you can get a better idea of how my rear bumper attaches:

It is different from the other Cobras I've seen, which all seem to have two mounting rods/bolts to attach the bumper to the frame rather than one. While the history of my Cobra is a bit cloudy, I believe it was built as a 1/4 mile drag car and the two bolts, one on each side, were simply for mounting a push bar. I think it was converted to street use by a subsequent buyer.

That's the "pleasure" of owning one of these, no? Kind of like my 1922 home in SW KS, nothing is square, nothing is plumb--on my cobra, nothing is "standard", either!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 03-17-2011 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: added photos