View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2769 Roush 427R Dart Block
Not Ranked     

Problem solved: it seems that everyone who answered was correct in one way or another. Clayboy, yes "bit me in the azz again!" would work as a thread title!.

First, matching the belt to the alternator pulley revealed that the belt was too narrow to make complete contact within the pulley. This was the belt installed when I had the pulleys changed out by the installer. I'm sure this had nothing to do with the alternator failing.

Second, even with the new belt the alternator started screaming after a few minutes and was not putting out amps. Apparently, it works for a few minutes and them something goes wrong inside.

A new $170 Powermaster 100 amp alternator cured the problem and the new wider belt seems to have cured the slipping when the lights and fans are on like it has done from the beginning.

I considered a lower amp alternator but I was told by the shop that tested it that the MSD ignition draws 20 amps? That with the twin fans and the lights and maybe the heater pretty much requires the 100 amp version. I'll have the burnt one rebuilt and shelf it just in case.

thanks for the help everyone......

Last edited by wanab5150; 04-12-2011 at 10:43 AM..