Thread: Brake Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Jams,

Remember it depends on what you have now. If your current Must II set up is all stock (meaning Organic pads, rubber hoses etc.) you we see a very noticeable difference switching to 4 piston set-up. Even the smaller Wilwood Dynalite calipers will perform substantially better. If you have upgraded your pads and lines (all part of what you feel) they will still be better, just less dramatic.
A side note: If you’re not racing, stay away from hard, racy pad compounds. I hear a lot of “fast” street guys saying “Yea, I run the full XYZ racing pads, cuz they are so much better!!” In truth, they are not better just designed to work at higher temps. When run on the street they rarely (if ever) see enough temp. to offer acceptable cold stopping performance.
Cobras and Brake Boosters: You can run one, Superformance comes with power brakes (I removed mine and built the mount you see in the photo), lots of guys fit a small (8”) booster.
I feel there are many reasons that Cobras in general should not have power brakes.
1. They are light cars. You just don’t need it the power advantage. If the master cylinder size and pedal ratio are correct, a manual system will work amazingly.
2. Extra cost, complexity, packaging, space issues and weight.
3. A lot of Cobra guys run big cams with lots of overlap. This results in a very weak vacuum signal. With little vacuum the booster becomes detrimental in the system requiring more pedal pressure and sluggish response.
In the end, Its just not necessary.

FWB is right on the money, you can get a Wilwood 11” Dynalite kit front kit for under $700 from summit. Just make sure to check your wheel clearance.

Akfish,
I disagree, because the pads come out and go in through the top it is many times simpler than a sliding caliper, even with multi piston deals. I use a 2” wide flat pry bar. The pistons always retract just enough to get the blade in-between the rotor and the old pad and gently work the pistons back in, takes about 20 seconds.

Mark,
Thanks. That is a 12.75x1.25 rotor with a narrow body SL6R and it fits inside a 15” Trigo without any issues. I can’t see any reason to go bigger.
As far as a straight bolt on deal, I don’t know of an aftermarket kit for the 6 pin Jag stuff. ERA has a big brake (12.2”) kit for the 6 pin, but I don’t know if it’s the Jag spindle. If you post or email me a picture of what you have, Id be happy to help.

jasonw@metalstec.com

Jason