View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Thanks, guys.....I have some progress to report. Although I did give up the CC number to the lady upon first contact, I also asked that they call and let me know what the shipping was (emphasis on verb tense) so I would know what the total hit to the CC would be.....one can't be to careful in these days of identiy/information theft, you know.

I agree for the most part with the universal positive comments I've read on here re: Finish Line and their customer service. I wish I had that impression from my limited contacts with them. I am in agreement with the quote below by crASH, so how about a history re: this project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crASH View Post
When any of us deal with an on-line vendor for the first time, our (at least my) lasting impression of them is based on only a few things. Do they have what I want, do they "appear" reputable enough for me to share my credit card info, what are their return policies, and how much is the shipping?
I contacted Finish Line a while back regarding the bumper over-riders I needed, here's a quote from a different thread that explains the treatment the phone representative offered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
I want to buy some over-riders for my Cobra...it already has the rear "bumper" assembly, but not the vertical part you see here:

Finish Line Accessories

I have the over-riders on the front bumper, but not on the rear. The description says "Open back". Well, I know there must be some sort of bracket or panel back there through which the bolts that hold them to the rear bumper will pass, but the young gentleman to whom I spoke denied that there is any sort of bracket or plate back there....and then proceeded to give me the center to center dimension for the two bolts. The gentleman also said "Well, that's not going to happen" when I asked for him to email me a photo of the back of the over-rider.....not exactly great customer service.

Has anyone ordered their over-riders from Finish Line? If so, is it possible that someone might have a photo of the back of theirs they can share here on the forum, along with a depth measurement on the distance between the back of the "bolt bracket" and the inside of the over-rider? I just want to make sure I'll be able to bolt them on my Cobra....I suspect Finish Line would take them back if they won't fit, I just don't want to have to spend all that money for the shipping both ways.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, folks!

Cheers from Doug!
OK, so their "customer service" is already questionable, and this was on my first contact.

I finally managed to get hold of Enzo, himself, who assured me that the parts are as I need. Good to go, I make the call that started this thread. OK, so now it's 2 strikes against FL's "customer service".

But, hold on, I remembered reading through a locked thread that was posted by someone who had issues with FL's shipping cost practices, read this:

Finish Line Accessories Shipping Charges

I had no reservations regarding the reputation of the company, their return policy was acceptable, so despite what might well have been a 3rd strike for some weaker-hearted individuals, I picked up the phone to order, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites View Post
Given how fussed you are already over the shipping costs (you have a very expensive car and you're worried over a few bucks for shipping?) , I wouldn't tell you the cost until I knew exactly what the charge is.

Turns out a lot of wannabe lawyers (and some real lawyers) own Cobras. I'd be afraid that if I were wrong on the shipping cost, I'd have you calling and whining and then threatening to not do business and then spreading my name on the internet.

Kinda like you already are and you werent even misled on shipping costs!!!

Its the folks who get wrapped around the axle over this sort of stuff that makes businesses shy away from providing the very ROM cost you want them to give you.

I for one do not blame them.
I understand your concerns regarding the litigous nature of our society, ItBites----I worked in the field of Special Education for 32 years and believe me, almost EVERY parent is just looking for a reason to sue the school districts. However, regarding this part of your reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites View Post
....I'd be afraid that if I were wrong on the shipping cost, I'd have you calling and whining and then threatening to not do business and then spreading my name on the internet.

Kinda like you already are and you werent even misled on shipping costs!!!
I submit that most with my "history" with FL would not have even picked up that phone.....after all, there are competitors for our dollars out there !

I have never had any interest in suing FL or any other vendor from whom I have ordered. I'm thankful they are in business and that we can get parts for our cars. I disagree with you that I "...already are and weren't even mislead on shipping costs". I only reported factually my experience, and the issue is obviously important to others, judging from many of the comments above. However, I do agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnfletcher View Post
They are a small company and most likely don't have the agreements with shipping companies that an Amazon does.
...and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
...I have bought from F-L in the past and I will do so in the future. But the "we can't figure out shipping until we drop it off" thing is just silly at best. I mean dang; buy a scale and a measuring tape.
In the end, all I asked for was an "estimate", and FL did honor their promise to call back with the information I requested. I will be happy to order from them again.

I saved the best for last....how much was the shipping? In the end, it was quite reasonable, only $12.....less than 10% of the price of the merchandise.

Why do I mention this? Here's why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
It is nice to get a heads up once in a while. Thanks Dugly.
Terry gets it----the issue is a repetitive one on this board, and if anyone can get any sort of feeling for how they want to deal with Finish Line's shipping practices, the better for it! FL is still on my list of "approved vendors"

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!