View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrow View Post
Thx for the comments guys. I am thinking to find a wrecked vehicle could be the go. Over here in WA I think we can use any suitable engine that complies with 1999 level emmisions or better. So for the chevy's I could go the 5.7L route, but then again the 6.0L is a bit newer.

I have a 285 kW 5.7 in my HSV clubsport and am very happy with it, so am tempted to go that way and find something similar. 285 kW is enough power right?
I bought my BF Ute at pickles online. You have to put up 1000 on a credit card as entry and you bid live on auction. I then transferred the money to pickles direct bank transfer. I then got a transporter to pick it up and deliver it for $550 landed from Brisbane (I asked about from WA its about the same). All up about 6000. If you want newish Ford engines (BA onwards) you'll need the wreck as theres a lot to wire together to make it work, especially with an ZF auto. It is possible to make the loom from scratch but its highly complex and time consuming, least with a wreck you know everything is there, and you can sell off wheels etc to get some dough back. Also note that the front loom for a BA is $750 from Ford (the one with the fuse box in it) and mine was cut in the accident. The earlier comment about is true about the trans being punched by the diff, ring and ask before bidding. I dunno about the Commodore engines but from what i can understand its not as hard as Ford, AU falcon is better also.

I love my Fords, but I can not recommend the Boss engine as its too wide. Windsor AU Falcon is narrower, as is the commodore. The boss is 800mm across the back the holden 700. This is critical as the foot well is defined by this width, and as the car is 1300 a boss footwell (where the pedals are) is only 280mm across, where the commodore is 330, particularly an issue with a manual or with big feet! Note that the Coyote is the same as the boss in max width.

Nathan

Last edited by sevenohms; 05-04-2011 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Added location of purchase