View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprimaniac View Post
"...............As you can see from the photos, the angeled rear face of the hood scoop have been removed. And me & my pals have been trying to figure wether this is a low or high pressure are. - Suitable for wenting or intake. We, maybe, solved this question with 3 inch of wool thread. While driving, the thread clearly made is way out of the opening. Which, made us conlude it is a low pressure area. - The oposite to the connclusion in your note................."
your testing with the wool thread, while admirable, has led you to the wrong conclusions. The rear end of hood scoops, just forward of the windshield has long been known to be a high pressure area.

Ford wind tunnel testing done at the request of Carroll Shelby in the 1960's (for the GT-350 development) showed that a hood scoop with the opening in the rear was much more effective in directing air to the carb & engine bay versus an opening in the front of the scoop. Shelby concluded that, despite this advantage of the rear opening scoop, Shelby Mustangs would have front opening scoops solely for cosmetic purposes. They just looked better. Function took a back seat.

Z.