View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

I think they said they were trying for 120 or so mile range in the video. On battery life they believed possible three times regular battery life and maybe the life of the car.

I agree with Larry, they really need to reevaluate the trans issue and get the math right. I took notes during the video. Wouldn't want to go through that slow moving thing again. They said you don't need first or second gear. They need an eight to one gear reduction. The motor should be running at about 5,600 rpms at 60 mph. The wheel speed should be about 750 rpms, at I guess, 60 mph. It looks like you don't need a lot of gears for this thing. In the older EV books I read they locked out all the gears except 2nd and reverse. It all depends on the trans and axle ratios for sure. Could it be that a five or six speed could be a waste. Maybe an old strong three speed is all that's needed. Is this thing going to shift in forward gears. Most older EV vehicles I have seen don't have flywheels or clutches.

It would really be nice for the foundation of the design to all be layed out and the detail of the math explained. There ought to take an episode and go over this. Or is it just hit and miss. After all a fair amount gas Cobra builders don't do much of that until they drive the car and find they have the wrong axle ratio for the big cammed engine they put in, and then they put the wrong trans in.

I think we need to keep asking the questions.

Wayne

Last edited by Wbulk; 05-11-2011 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: fix