View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Picture of the Kellison body I am starting my project with

Thanks to everyone that gave me their input concerning the Kellison project that I am starting. And, to Mr Bruce for linking a picture of a Kellison.

Here is a picture of the Kellison J5 body that I am starting with. It is sitting at the approximate ride height of 5 inches. HOW AM I GOING TO GET IN AND OUT OF THIS CAR!!!!!!

This body is 69 inches wide and is set up for a 102 inch wheel base. As it sits, it is 39 inches tall! The current C6 Corvettes are 73.6 inches wide. I am going to build a version of the Cobra frame that I built. The C6 suspension cradles will bolt into the frame. This will give it world class handling, steering and brakes Virtually any engine/trans combo could be used. I have to decide whether to split the car in the middle and widen it. Or, flare the fenders, kinda of Cobra style. I am leaning towards splitting the body.

The biggest question is how to make it so that I can get in and out of the car. I could make gull wing doors or doors that cut into the roof, like the Gt 40. Or I can change the roof line and make it 5 to 6 inches taller. About the height of the Daytona. It looks like a Datsun Z 240 windshield would accomplish this. The Kellison used flat Studebaker glass. I wanted to incorporate a curved windshield anyway. Leaning towards Gull wing doors.

Also, thinking of doing a roadster version of this car at the same time.

Any thoughts?

I put 800 miles on my Cobra this week, driving in the mountains of NH,VT, and NY. What a blast. What a great driving car. Over 30mpg!
Attached Images