View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-linkCobra View Post
Thats a mistake putting that filter in the top like that. You will actualy create a major turbulance by air coming in from the sides and and the top at the same time. A freind of mine builds limited modified motors for circle track racing...they saw a 12 hp drop on the dyno by running one of K and N's filter tops on a round filter. Stop and think about the way air flows for a minute.

just my 2 cents.

This new filter actually won't be sitting on top of the carbs like the X-Stream lids do, more so in between. The air currents will be different. I'm going to do some chassis dynoing before and afterwards anyway. If it doesn't work I'll pitch it and scrap that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
undy,

Ran into the same problem with the 521 in the Cobra and the 557 in the Zephyr wagon.

In the Cobra the solution was to increase the height of the scoop by about an inch. That got me enough airflow by allowing another inch of height for the filter. I can understand if you don't want to do that.

In the Zephyr the solution was a drop-base air filter. It allows plenty of flow without too much disturbance. Alas, it resulted in shrouding the float bowls of the 950 carb, creating a percolation problem particularly after the fully warmed up engine is shut off. Still working on that one - may have to let the fans run after the engine stops to solve it.

So your problem is a tough one - if you put enough boundary conditions on a problem you may find you've ruled out all the possible solutions...

One of the potential solutions I have not tried is the dual snorkel filter housing, like this:

Good luck and let us know if your solution works!

Tom
Sorry Tom, if a run a pair of those I'll need to park with the Subies and Hondas at the local hang-out.. J/K, well maybe not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
Undy,

have been thinking about the same problem, however my solution is similar but using a different filter top. i want to machine a new top to insert two of the smaller K&N "extreme" filter tops they just fit touching each other.
and then the center holes can be used to hold the top on.

Fred

P.S. the oval air cleaner assembly is very restrictive where you actually have flow numbers i did my own back yard test......3 jet sizes different to get the same plug reading from aircleaner on... to... no aircleaner
I looked at the x-Stream lid option prior to this. They make them in a 9", 11" and 14". The 9" one is the only one that would fit and there is not much filter media in it. Almost the outer 2" was border and filter frame. I was going to use an 11" filter and only use the center 9" of it for mine. I may still end up going that route anyway, depending what my RWHP numbers show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Or, you could try one of my setups!
Several CC members now have them on some big motors!
Contact me if interested. Now comes complete with the modified top and the Quik-Latch installed, similar to this:

Check this link for more info:

PhotoPost Classifieds - 9" FLAT AIR FILTER BASE - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
My carbs are 8 1/2" apart, center to center. Two 9" filters wouldn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
I've run the extreme lid K&N on several EMC dyno entries when a 14x3 element was mandated. In all cases it was worth a very small - margin of error - 1-3 point improvement in score. Score is average horsepower and average torque over a 4000 RPM range.
Do you know for a fact that you were originally CFM Challenged? If not, then the results would always be near nill. According to K&N their 14 x 3 is good for 900-950 CFM, which would carry most of your entries pretty well.