View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Talking Head Stud Re-Torque Procedure

Regarding the head stud re-torque. I just spoke to the ARP tech line since my 460 uses the ARP head studs with 12 point nuts. They confirmed that the correct way (starting in middle of head and following in proper sequence) is to back-off each nut (one at a time) by 1/4 to 1/2 turn and then bring it up to max torque (Ford Racing quotes 135 ft-lbs) ARP instructions quote 140 ft-lbs. The reason to back the nut off is to ensure less friction on the re-tighten, and ensure the pre-load on the stud is correct when torqued to @ 135-140 ft-lbs.

Hope this helps anyone else who has to retorque their Ford Racing 460's with Jon Kaase Heads.

UPDATE: After trading emails with Jon Kaase, he confirmed there is no reason to back off the head stud nuts when retorquing the heads. Just run them up to 130 ft-lbs (Ford Racing claimed 135 ft-lbs) close enough for me. I tried one nut for grins in the middle lower row and found one that was about 1/8th of a turn away from 135ft-lbs confirming ive got a check all of 'em. Hope this helps others.

Last edited by kitcarbp; 05-24-2011 at 07:41 AM..