View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #2117, blown 4.6
Not Ranked     

I’m just an owner. Not a high-mileage guy, and certainly not mechanically oriented. But I believe that I know the SPF Mk III fairly well at this point, and a ton better than when I bought it due to the educational efforts of other SPF owners.
You start with the factory where the Superformance rollers are built. Hi Tech in South Africa has a great reputation for building cars. Jimmy Price is a man dedicated to building quality cars.
Superformance | Factory

Then on to the automotive enthusiast US owner, Lance Stander and his family. Lance is a car person who also is dedicated to the Superformance brand. A driver, a wild man in a car, a wonderful person, has a great wife, excellent kids. What can you ask for more? Oh yes, he sold me my car way back when.

Look carefully at the Superformance website. Superformance | Home
Transparent, filled with details. Look at the car itself.
Spend some time on the details.
Superformance | MKIII The energy that has gone into telling you about the car is representative of the car itself.
Then there are the people who have attached themselves to the Superformance brand.
The Superformance owners group, built and managed and by Randall Thomas and supported by a group of “senior” automotive enthusiasts dedicated to the SPF, is a collection of auto enthusiasts who are dedicated to driving these cars, racing these cars successfully (some of them) , and insuring that the approx. 3000 SPF MK IIIs are as good as a car can be for what YOU want to do with your car. Superformance Cobra Owners Forum
If you want to drive socially with other SPF owners, there are multiple SCOF-organized trips every year. SCOF is an interesting group of guys with a variety of backgrounds. You get to join it by owning an SPF. With approx. 3,000 cars on the road, there is a chance that there is an SPF MK III near you.
Mike and Pat Stenhouse of Second Strike. Superformance Owners Groups This website gives you more insight into the energy that somehow the SPF brand has generated over the years.
If you want to race an SPF successfully, you will find support for that.
Superformance Cobra Owners Forum
There are other persons such as Dennis Olthoff who are dedicated to the SPF brand. Some of the other SPF owners are folks who have successfully raced other more sophisticated cars and bring that experience and knowledge to SPF and SCOF.
If I remember correctly, the highest mileage SPF MK III has approximately 140,000 miles, and 35,000 of them were on a track. 40,000, 50,000, 60,000 mile SPFs are out there running around on this Sunday. These are driver’s cars if you wish them to be, as well as being beautiful.
I could ramble on for a long time, because I am a big fan of the SPF MK III, but have covered the essence of my thoughts. The SPF MK III is great little car that somehow managed to hook a large group of good folks into loving it and believing in it
James #2117