View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Agreed. No one wants a camera following them 24 hours a day.

But what does any of this have to do with recording data for the intent of examining it afterwards to help determine what happened in an accident? If the black box had a transmitter on it so that the government could collect data on you, then yes, of course I would object to it.
These are all examples of excesses of our own gov't. Give them an inch.....

That black box is not a really new idea. It has come up in the US before - and I remember that very clearly. It has been proposed to include a transmitter. The purpose was that you would drive past a collection/query point, and the data would be downloaded for use by your gov't. Guess what they planned on doing with that data? In the UK, they already have that transmitter and collection point. Guess what they do with it?

That raised a lot of hackles, and got squashed pretty quickly. It was clearly a violation of your civil liberties.

Now, it's back. With no mention of the transmitter. Do you really think they've forgotten about it? Or will it just be on the QT?

The same thing happened with cell phones. When the first plan included a GPS tracking device, there was a lot of upraor. So, that was removed from the features list, but not from the device. No way to turn it off, except by turning off the phone. Now it's just accepted.

The trick here, is not to look at just what is proposed. But look ahead to what comes next; often based on past performance. Then decide if that's the road you want to be on. If not, you need to speak up now, or forever hold your peace.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto