View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
jon, I'm glad to hear your Optima has performed so well for you. Contrary to what your parts dealer told you, the quality of our batteries has always been excellent and has continually improved under Johnson Controls' ownership. Visiting as many forums as I do, I constantly come across theories about when our batteries were good, when they weren't and why. Frankly, the claims are all over the map, frequently contradict each other and have no basis beyond an individual's personal experience or heresay.

I am glad you brought up the point about purchasing batteries online, as that is a legitimate concern for manufacturers and consumers alike. I would encourage anyone considering an online purchase to review the following information:

Any retailer from which you purchase a new Optima should provide warranty service for you, for the full duration of your warranty. However, there are some online retailers that do not. We strongly recommend that you find out the warranty procedures before making a purchase. If the seller’s procedure is to contact the manufacturer or if they do not provide a customer service phone number that they answer (not the Optima batteries customer service number) we recommend looking elsewhere.

For same-day purchases and service we recommend visiting your nearest Optima retailer, as online purchases can take multiple days to arrive. Likewise, in the event that product support service is needed, online purchases must be shipped back to the original seller and can take several days to be processed and returned.

OPTIMA-authorized online retailer requirements:
• Ship Optima products in approved shipment packaging
• Answer a toll-free service phone number during business hours
• Adhere to and honor the Optima factory warranty policy
• Provide an in-house warranty program

Like most manufacturers, our warranty covers manufacturing defects, not abuse or obvious misuse. As a result, if someone elects to cut off their top posts, drag their battery behind their car, charge their battery with a 200-amp shop charger until it resembles the Superdome and vents acid like a volcano or abuses their battery in some other obvious fashion, their warranty will be voided. Even if you accidentally drop your battery down a flight of stairs and crack the case open like a melon, we are sympathetic to your situation, but not responsible for your actions. I would also encourage anyone who is in the market for a new battery, to review the manufacturer's warranty of any battery they are considering, prior to making a purchase. You can view ours here- Optima Product Support : Warranty Info

If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Optima Batteries | Facebook
I have used Optima batteries for years in my Cobra and even have one that I use to run my auxiliary water pump and fan for cooling the car in the pits.
Any problem I have had with the battery has been of my own doing for example my MSD 6AL was leaking battery current and running the battery down while in the trailer. I installed a master cut off switch and have had no problems since. I do not even have a trickle charger, the battery started the car after sitting all winter in storage without charging it, what more could you ask?