View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
Never heard of this before........maybe the case for a big block Ford engine,but my 351-W with a Demon runs perfectly at 12 degrees intial timing,no hesitation,no bog,no nothing,just flat out goes...
My 331 stroker runs prefectly at 10 degrees intial timing, no hesitation, no bog, no nothing, this one really hauls the mail from idle to 6500+rpms....

on both carbs,all I did was change jets by reading the spark plugs, adjust the float levels as per directions and use a vacum gauge to tune the idle circuit...both have not been touched in years once I got them tuned to my engines.........

David
This is true, but is more of a function of the cam profile than the carb itself. Demon makes different carbs depending on your cam profile. If you have a big cam with a large amount of overlap, Demon recommends running as much initial timing as you can in order to clean up the idle. On my old Demon carb'd engine, I ran 17 degrees initial plus 18 mechanical for a total of 35 degrees. It really did help clean up the idle and the lower rpm. Probably applies equally to Holleys as well.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."