View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Tim, at this point, you probably have some kind of checklist; it's important to have it so you don't keep repeating yourself "did I remember to tigthen".

IN that little note book I brought over, every time I torqued something down, I drew a picture if it was a lot of bolts, and simply put down the final torque setting and pattern used if required, on that part/assembly, and date it. Then if I don't recall, I just go to my note book to see if I did.

You could make a similar checklist well in advance and just date it with the torque settings and know it's out of the way. I realize that the DAY you fire it up for the first time, you'll still be pouring over things in a dozen different directions so keep a log in perhaps sections (electrical, plumbing, fluids, engine bay, interior, etc.)

On first fire up, and possibly a drive around the block, you want to first check:

1. Oil Level
2. Coolant Level (initial)
3. Battery Charged (prior night, trickle charge it)
4. Double check brake fluids; maybe do a roller test this week.
5. Tire check (these cars don't usually need a lot of air due to their weight; 25psi is a good starting point if you go by the 1psi per 100lbs.)
6. firing order. It's just good to know you have it wired correctly.

On the day of startup , have a fire extinguisher or two, handy. Do a cursory check of all your controls. If a fire starts, know where you kill switch is - that is go through the motions of a mock fire so you know how long it will take to kill the battery.

Push the car out of the garage. Last thing you want is a possible house fire!

Warm up engine for a few minutes. Get out and check for leaks when you're at 150 deg.F. Need to check fuel lines, brake lines, coolant lines.

While waiting or checking fluid leaks, have a person outside just confirm all lights and signals are working (you can do this well before the day of driving it.)

If everything is looking good, and you remembered to bolt down the seats and the steering wheel and the shifter, it's time to take it down the street to see how it behaves. I know the alignment still need to be done so don't put a lot of miles on it. Just get it close enough so you can drive it to wherever you're doing the alignment.

When the alignment is done, "listen" to your car and determine if something might be loose or squeaking or making a noise you were not expecting. In fact, get it to speed and then coast so the engine noise doesn't cover up lesser noise.

when you park it, and let it cool, top off all your fluids again (or oil change if that's needed.) Check all around the engine for any signs of leakage between the heads and block, the water pump and timing chain cover. Re-tigten your header bolts; you'll probably need to do this for probably a good 5 or 6 heat cycles.

That's pretty much all I can add to this mess... I mean project.

Last edited by 289fia_cobra; 06-14-2011 at 12:57 PM..