Old 06-18-2011, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket427;11****3
Cobra Valley's R/T Super High Performance Ball Joints
They make all the difference in the world. I got new tires, balanced them three time but the ball joints were the problem
Ditto

My car, 1265, had no shake for the first 5 or so years. For the last 4 or 5 years I have chased the wheel shake continually. It happed between 55 and 70 and seemed to come and go. I changed to the R/T Ball joints and the shake is gone! There are many advantages to these ball joints, like a lighter feel to the steering and elimination of bump steer, but my major complaint was wheel shake and the new ball joints did the trick.

You must be sure the tire balance is good and the wheels are true, but if you did not have a shake and then it developed, it could very well be the ball joints.

Looking back at my own car history, the shake was the worse after the car sat for a while. I too blamed that on tire flat spots, but we all know that is not common with radial tires. I went through three sets of tires and countless alignments and balancing. In the end nothing change the condition. After removing my old ball joints I found I could not articulate them by hand. They were so tight you had to beat on them in a vice to move them. My conclusion was that they freeze up when sitting and as they try to articulate, rather than moving smoothly, they jump from position to position. In contrast, the new ball joints articulate as smooth as silk by hand and like I said, the shake is gone.

Try what you think is best, but when all else fails, try the ball joints. This has been a success story for many SPF owners.

Craig