View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

OK some bad news and some good news. Today I took the Cobra down for the IM240 test and it failed dismally, running so rich the hydrocarbon readings were literally off the charts. I scanned the codes and the injector circuit open/malfunction error was back on cylinders 2 & 4. I should've listened to that nagging voice telling me it "just doesn't feel right" - oh well, the money's gone now.

Now for the good news.

Thanks to a suggestion tonight from Doubledip we put a stethoscope to those injectors and what do you know... whereas the other 6 cylinders gave off a loud, regular click, no.s 2 & 4 were barely audible and very irregular. Thanks to another suggestion from Justin we removed the covers from the injector plugs and pushed the contacts a little closer together, put it all back together and bugg3r me, it feels like a new engine! Perfect idle, pulls hard and smooth right through the rev range and all the right sounds from the the stethoscope plus no error codes.

The clutch pedal is out for some minor adjustments so I haven't driven it yet, but rest assured it will get a run this weekend and the camera will be rolling.

A massive thanks to Doubleddip/Justin for all the after hours support and also to Marty Govert - you're right, that $12 stethoscope is quite possibly the best tool you ever bought.

Happy Sambo