Thread: 302 Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Default 302 Rebuild

After 20000km/3years, the powerplant in my Cobra is now undergoing a makeover. The engine is a stock EFI 302 from a late 80s/early 90s Mustang. The main purpose for the upgrade is to move away from the *modern* engine look and back to a traditional look. In doing this, there will also be a modest power upgrade - nothing too wild though.

A list of planned modifications is as follows:

Trickflow heads and associated valve gear, including cam for a lttle extra ooomph.
MassFlow EFI - to give the traditional look
Standard rotation water pump to remove the original belt tensioner
Polished alloy drive pulleys for the looks.
Single wire alternator

To achieve all these with the greatest of ease (?) I have decided to remove the engine and attack it all on a stand. Hence, there are a few additional items I can attend to:

Rear main engine seal (slight leak)
Sump gasket
Low oil sender unit leak - oil temp sender to be installed
Gearbox rear pinion seal (I think) leak.
R32 diff pinion seals (LSH has slight leak)

As well as this, I am going to attempt (no guarantees yet!) to clean up the engine bay so that the engine itself is the centre of attention (rather than all the ancilliary components like wiring and hoses etc).

That should just about do it!

Here is the engine as it was first installed:

and here is the trial fitment of the MassFlo intake and EFI setup. I wanted to do this before removing the engine to check clearances.

As this rebuild progresses, any and all advice or general comments gratefully accepted.

More details will follow as works progress.

Regards

Geof