Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I have a 6 speed in mine and would never put another one in. Unless the car is fuel injected and you have a huge wide powerband, don't waste the money. You will either find first gear a waste, or 6th gear not usable.

Put a 3.73 gear and a TKO and you will be sitting pretty.
That's what most of my customers find out...

They are not worth the cost and the effort to install them. Quicktime makes a lot of bellhousings to adapt them to different engines, but on certain applications where you use a Long style clutch or a twin disc, modification of the midplate has to be completed and an aftermarket pivot ball has to be installed in order to have enough room.

The overall length is indeed longer. I tried several transmissions in my Fox body Mustang, including a T5, a TKO, and a Viper T-56. Yes, the trans mount sits further back, but due to the depth of the bellhousing needed to swallow the input shaft, it puts the end of the tailhousing almost 2" further back as well, necessitating a shorter driveshaft. This is all with the same engine. If you have this situation in a Cobra, you better have an IRS to help with u-joint issues.

From an engine builder and a drivetrain seller, I'm trying to save you all $500....