View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD Excalibur, '94-'95 5.0 EFI, Edelbrock heads, E303 cam, 1.7RR, Cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 93 cobra ECU, 65mm TB, hi flow cats.
Not Ranked     
Default Headers, side exhaust

PM Cobra,
Great news.

Recently I purchased a set of Classic Roadster II headers and improved side pipes. Close, but no cigar. I will need to bend the collector up about 2 inches for a start as I fit these. Since I want to retain the original polished stainless side pipes, I'll need to fabricate about a 3 inch extension for the header collector to mate with the OEM side pipes. I intend to open the side pipes up and get the restriction out of the interior. Not sure what is in there as they were cut and re-welded before I got the car (no history on that). I noticed the original side pipes did not exit in the center (front to rear) of the body cut out so I'll be trying to correct that with the extension geometry. Probably have to move the mount at the rear of the side pipe to compensate for relocating the exit point at the front.

I've seen Bob's work on the green and gold car and it was impressive. Hope he can get all of these issues with our original exhaust worked out as well. Our cars are mostly at or near the need for replacement of the headers and long overdue a real performance header and side pipe system. Bob definitely should build the jigs for these as I'm confident many others will be customers. I certainly would have had I not already gotten neck deep in what I started.

Post as progress is made and especially have Bob put up some photos. Consider the side pipes in stainless for durability.

I don't think I have you in our spread sheet. Please contact me at mduke8@gmail.com and give me info on your car (last 6 of the VIN, color, options and mods, mileage, owner history, etc.). If you sent it to me before, I must have lost it. I'll send you a copy of our spreadsheet and some other info on parts, sources, history, maintenance, etc. that I have collected. Thanks again for this update. Lots of owners have experienced the restrictions and cracking of the original exhaust system and this is welcome news.

Mike