Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Bob and Tommy got it.
It's not that your rears locked but the speed differential between your tires and what your un-throttled drivetrain wants to do, will cause a braking effect, throwing the weight of car to one corner, and that's where you lost it.
If you haven't done a traction circle in your Cobra, you're missing alot. Keeping the balance of the car is paramount.
It's true for any car but the Cobra will accentuate these issues. They're great cars to learn on. Driving other sports cars will be much easier.
Speeds are faster nowadays but the skill was greater in the 60's.
I think just about everybody got that the rears didn't actually lock, and its actually the applied speed differential between the engine-braked rear tires and rest of the car that causes them to skid. The deceleration also causes weight transfer away from the rear and onto the front wheels, further exacerbating the loss of grip in the rear and allowing momentum to swing the tail end towards the outside of the turn.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...