View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Which 15-inch radials should I install on my Superformance MkIII?

The time has come to think about replacing the tires on my Superformance Cobra, either this fall or this spring at the latest.

I'm currently running Goodyear Eagle GT IIs which look the part, but are only S rated for speed and have been no great hell in terms of grip (and they've been discontinued so I can't buy them again even if I wanted to). I'm looking for a modern radial tire that fits my stock 15-inch Halibrands, and that provides the best grip possible for street use/driving.

Tire selection in the stock tire sizes -- 255/60R15 (front) and 275/60R15 or 295/50R15 (rear) -- seems to be rather limited. I've identified about seven different choices, below (am I missing any good ones?).

Of the radial tires currently available in these sizes, which would you recommend I choose for my Cobra? Which tires are you using, and what do you like/dislike about them?

Thanks for the input, Brian

NOTE: No matter how cool Goodyear Billboards look -- and they do look cool -- I don't want a bias-ply, non-street legal tire like this. Too expensive, too likely to lead to stone chips, and too prone to flat spotting. Also, I don't want to upsize my wheels from 15 inch to 17 inch or whatever, as I like the classic, "meaty" look for a Cobra.

TIRE OPTIONS

S rated tires (max 112 mph or 180 km/h)

BFGoodrich Radial T/A

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

T rated tires (max 118 mph or 190 km/h)

Cooper Cobra Radial G/T

Mastercraft Avenger G/T (a Cooper Tire brand)

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T

H rated tires (max 130 mph or 210 km/h)

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R (in non-metric sizing: 26x10.00R15LT + 28x12.00R15LT)

Kumho Ecsta STX KL12

Last edited by SunDude; 08-17-2011 at 03:13 PM..