View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33849 (currently 460)
Not Ranked     
Default New Contemporary in Houston Texas

There is a new Cobra in Houston, TX and her name is Matilda!

A couple of years ago I sold my EM cobra that I built from the ground up. I sold the car as a roller and kept the 428FE that I had as incentive to build another one one day. From the day I sold my Everett Morrison, I started thinking, “when I build another one, what do I want?”. Over the last couple of years I have gone over the plans of what my personal “perfect” cobra would be. I didn’t say “THE” perfect cobra, I said “MY” perfect cobra. It had to be a FE powered car, coil overs, independent suspension, knock off wheels, 90" wheel base etc...

As a few things unfolded over the last few months, I decided it was time to become a little more serious about the plan so as I do with most projects, I created a spreadsheet. Upon the completion of that spreadsheet, I concluded that I really could not afford to build my perfect cobra from the ground up. So on to plan B. Given the current market for used cobras, I decided to see if I could find one that was close enough that I could buy and then change the things I needed to and get my perfect cobra (or pretty darn close to it)in the process without breaking the bank. I had narrowed the field down to ERA, Contemporary, Hurricane.

Acting on plan “B”, I found a car in the Atlanta, GA area that fit the bill. On Wednesday June 29th the deal was agreed to and the money was wired at 11 am. Let’s just say I got one heck of a deal on the vehicle. The car was delivered and sitting in my driveway at 10:30 am, Thursday June 30th. I drove it aprox 3 miles before it was put into my garage and taken apart so that it could have a spa month at a local paint shop.

Tilly is a Maroon w/ carbon fiber stripe Contemporary Cobra (you might have seen a picture or two :-) ) with floor mounted pedals and a 427 Side Oiler engine. The engine sports a 2x4 tunnel port intake. Those of you that know me know it had to have multiple carbs. She has a top loader tranny and a pre-oil system. The wheels are magnesium Halibrand knockoffs, Wilwood braking system, Jag suspension and all leather interior.
Some of the changes I made include:
· Complete color change
· Change of the dashboard layout
· Change out the switches to Lucas switches
· Change out the speedometer to a reverse rotating one
· Removed the molded hood scoop and added a bolt on (rivet look) one
· Added bolts to the front of the hood (rivet look)
· Changed out the hood latches for locking ones
· Added a key as the car only had a push button start and didn’t need a key
· Installed hardware for a soft top (I still had the top from my EM)
· Added a 5pt seat belt system since only lap belts were in the car
· Added a horn
· Added a brake light switch (apparently brake lights and horns aren’t required in GA)
· Changed windshield mirror
There are other things I changed as well but I think you get the picture. At the end of the day, by my calculations, I came in a little less than 60% the cost of building the car I wanted from scratch. And I got a few things like the 427 side oiler, pre-oiling system and magnesium wheels, I hadn’t budgeted for.
Although I’ve done a bunch, there are still a couple of things I am thinking of doing but for now, I’m pretty happy with the results.
Now, what to do with a spare 428FE in the garage? Hummmmm. Well that is a decision for another day. Now it‘s time to drive!

Meet Matilda! (aka “Tilly”)
Delivery date June 30, 2011

Interior

427 Side Oiler Equipped with a pre oiling system

Magnesium Hildabrands

Off for a make over

Scoopoplasty

Ready for paint She sparkels

Gotta Raise the Roof!!!

Carbon Fiber Stripe and Classic plate…notice it says 427

Before and after

Rerouted oil cooler lines added rivets to hood and scoop