View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

The only thing I see good he is using only Dupont Products...to damned exspensive but in my opinion the best.

He's talking "Pin Holes"?????? Sounds like he has done to may FFR Cobras If that is the case, run as fast as you can!

My way in a brief- Brief:

1st the body is mounted as it will be to the frame, COMPLETELY!
The doors are fitted as perfect as possible, THEN what ever body work needed to bring them to perfection is completed.
Hood then Trunk or vice versa
Stripe if allocated:
Part two, the car is totally blocked, once the entire body work is finished, "I" shoot the body with (DuPont's" Vari-PRIME Yes guys this is a metal self etching primer, I know!) Veri-Prime is like water, it soaks into fiberglass like a sponge then hardens like glass! Absolutely NO Shrinking, NO Bleed Through- 20 years later! Unfortunately I do have proof!

"I" paint the color of the stripe- 2 maybe three coats of base coat. If you really want to be safe use HOK's surface clear and put a coat of clear on the stripe color. (This prevents dirt showing up later, fingerprints, etc, and can be painted over with the color of car immediately.

Mask off the stripe- totally wash the car and dry- let set over night. (You do have the body off the frame -NO?)

Wet sand again with 600, seal the body.(You can do this before the stripe.) Forgot the primer, I do a 2K type primer usually and block it all BY HAND!
I Will let the sealer sit for 24 hours-Hey, this is MY way!
Wet sand with 600 again, dry and clean!
From here it will get Two to Four coats of Basecoat Color. (Depends on the color.)

IF the color & Body work is flawless- Two coats of clear-PERIOD!

IMPROPERLY Applied- more than Two Coats of Clear is paying for certain break down in time! Cracking, Hazing, fading, etc., etc., Guaranteed!

Do I put on more than two coats of clear? Absolutely! Many times, but, for the second set of two coats I wait at least 24 hours some times more, I totally block the entire car with 600, dry- clean and shoot.

IF I do more than this-rare- I may wait a week or more before I wet sand again.

Then assuming it is NOT going to be "Planed" after 600 I start to buff. Takes me about 4 to 10 days to buff one out.

Damn after all this typing I could have painted the one in the shop!

Price on Dupont materials alone today is over $4,500.00!
DV

One serious hint, for a quality -long term- paint job he HAS to know Fiberglass!