View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 491 427 SO red - built in 1997. Original owner.
Not Ranked     
Default Holy Cow!

Gosh FWB! If I could figure that wiring out I wouldn't be posting. You want a free trip to Myrtle Beach - my treat - just fix the car! Thanks, really -I will study it and it might actually give me the answer. Meanwhile back at the ranch - I went out to the car and cranked it up to answer patrickt on his post. I cranked the car up and revved it up and hit the light switch - I saw the instrument lights come on and the headlights might have flashed on an instant and then it went dead and now will not crank so I think I fried the module in the distributor. The fans are automatic and were not on at the time. I had that happen a couple years ago - got a replacement somewhere in the garage so now I will have to redo that. I have always been a points guy never trusting electronic ignitions but that is what the engine builders for ERA put in the motor. Never had a bit of trouble with that engine otherwise.
I was thinking that if the ammeter went positive that the alternator must be okay but that is too simple. I will take it off and take it to the NAPA boys for a test. If it is OK then I will backtrack. One thing I have noticed over the years is that sometime the turn signal lights in the vehicle will intermettently not work as if they are underpowered - ditto the horn. Never gave it much thought figuring one battery was not enough. Thanks for the info guys. I will let you know as things develop. The car can be seen on the ERA photo gallery BTW. Tom