View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
The original Koni shocks measured 13.625" eye to eye in the front and 17.5" in the rear. The front shocks do not have spherical bearings, they are captured rubber eyelets using a through bolt like most any stock shock, the rears had a spherical lower joint and a standard rubber upper mount. To adjust them you had to unscrew the top eyelet, remove the bump rubber, reinstall the eyelet and then compress them all the way to engage the valve, adjust the valve and then reinstall the bump rubber and eyelet, a very time consuming process. Later versions of the Koni had an adjustment window incorporated in the top eyelet like a Penske. I have a set of these purchased sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's but never liked them because of the hysteresis vs Penske's. I have three way Penske's now and like them very much.
Thanks so much for the info. My front shocks measure longer than your numbers and the rears are the same. I am assuming that your dimenions are the maximum lengths. What I have are the earlier version from what I know. I spoke with Koni and believe I will need to install an internal bump stop to shorten the overall length. Have to see what lengths these come in. All I need for it to be is 3/4" shorter. To unscrew the top eyelet on mine, you first have to knock out a roll pin which really makes you have to work to adjust them. Thanks again. Regards.