View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Here ya go, Corvette Summer

The picture I showed above is not from Wayne. I bought that one from Blue Thunder, and then Momar Injection added the vacuum plenum. The one Wayne has is much better, with a cleaner almost fail proof plenum. That's what I use now.

I think the IR system creates a flatter torque curve with better throttle response. Compared to a 4 barrel carb or EFI with a carb type intake manifold you would lose some power. That's a tough call, though. If I switched to EFI with long runners and a large central plenum, I think you would lose a little bit of bottom end, but not much. And you'de gain a bunch more power at the top. You might even lose a little bit of throttle repsonse in the lower rpm range. That would be something like a Victor manifold with a 1,200 cfm throttle body and port injection. That would work, but the torque curve would probably not be as flat.

But, I really like the way this EFI system looks. It makes me happy when I open the hood, and it makes me laugh out loud when I mash the throttle. I'd like a bit more power, but not willing to lose the looks. Life's full of trade offs.

Remember that the weber 4 barrel systems were used in race cars in 60's to make more power at the upper rpm range. And that was on much smaller engines. Trying to feed 427 cubes making 650hp at 7,000 rpm is tough. That's an uncommon demand, so there's not a lot of off the shelf parts available that are affordable. How many people do you know that regularly race a 427 stroker?
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto