View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

Hi,
Both your problems are fairly common.
Shorter people have used pedal extensions to solve the pedal problem. I'm 6'1"plus so my problem is the opposite :0) You can also or instead adjust the tilt of the seat by removing the seat and swapping the washers sandwiched between the seat and floor at the four seat fasteners - which are accessible through holes covered with rubber caps on the underside of the car. Take the rear washers and stack them at the front fastener locations to tilt the seat back (you will probably need 1/4" long fasteners at the front to accommodate the added washer(s). You should now be able to slide the seat further forward to accommodate your shorter leg length and yet maintain the longer arm length desired with the steering wheel otherwise so close to your chest (ala 1960's seating position).
I found that the seat bottom bolsters are too thick and I removed the seat bottom covers, thinned out the foam cushioning, and replaced the covers for a much better and improved seating position.
As for the fumes, you are probably getting engine compartment fumes primarily through the ventilation system. There is a fresh air/HVAC interface between the hood and the lip on top of the HVAC box (carbon fiber box on the right side of the engine compartment). Fumes leak in at this interface. Take some foam weather striping and line the receptacle in the hood that mates with the HVAC lip when the hood is closed to improve the seal and eliminate/reduce the fumes getting into the ventilation system. Open and close the hood a couple of times and check the weather striping to see if there is an impression from the lip to make sure you are getting contact and hence sealing. You may also be getting fumes through the firewall and/or tranny tunnel, shifter boot, and such. Check to see if you have a gap between the boot and the shifter (if you feel air blowing past while you're driving, you're getting fumes through the boot) and other obvious places. Some fumes will get through at the pedal/firewall openings but not all that bad.
Best,
Ron Weingart