View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 395 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Just posting an update regarding my titling quest. I bought my SPF from Fastlane Performance Cars (plug for Matthew at FLP) at the end of August. The car was perfect in every way and I already have 800 trouble-free miles on it.

Went to Sherburne Cty Registrar office armed with advance research and high hopes. They took my original MSO, receipts, Affidavit of Reconstruction and Application for Title. I paid my fees and they handed over a set of MN license plates.

Next step was my first vehicle inspection, which I had scheduled weeks earlier. I failed the inspection as expected (no VIN) and left with my failed inspection report and an appointment for my next inspection.

The Registrar office would not accept my failed inspection report because my Application for Title could not be found in their system. Didn't matter that I already had permanent plates because MN has a 3-4 month paperwork backlog. I was told to come back in a few months. That advice was unappealing, so I contacted the lady who assigns VIN's at the DMV. Wow, she was extremely helpful and took care of my report personally. Within 3 days I received a letter from her stating that my VIN had been created and sent to the inspection station. Sweet deal.

My next inspection is a week away, at which time I anticipate getting my VIN sticker applied (adhesive and rivets) and being handed a passed inspection report. The VIN lady gave me instructions to mail that report right back to her and I'll follow those instructions to the letter.

This whole thing could have been a complete nightmare without all of the advance research and assistance from others on this site. I may not be out of the woods yet, but this is certainly a good start.

Chuck