View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Distributor Help

I have a Roush 427 SR/TW, about one year old, came with a MSD 6AL ignition, blaster coil and a MSD Pro Billet Ready to Run distributor #8354. Ran like a top, did not have one single problem, however, went to start it about 3 weeks ago, and the engine would turn over and not fire. I used the paper clip test and noted spark from my coil to my main distributor plug, but not from the distributor to the spark plug. Most likely a bad magnetic pick up, this model has to be sent back to the factory, and cant just have the pickup replaced, sent it back, they confirmed that it was actually the small microprocessor chip that went bad, they replaced and sent it back. Prior to sending I marked both the distributor housing with two different scratches on it to align with the block as well as three different points where the distributor was pointing. I replaced it exactly where it was. I never took off the spark plug wires and left the attatched to the distributor.

I turned the engine over, it does not run, but when I give it a little gas, I get a backfire that comes out of the carb.

I called MSD, they told me to remove and clamp the vacuum secondary and plug the end at the distributor, still same problem. I then reconnected and advanced it about every 2 degrees for a total of 50 degrees, then retarded the same, still the engine would never run, just back fire.

I turned the engine to about 14 degree BTDC and removed the distributor cap and it was pointing just before the number one plug, which proves to me that it is correct. I pulled the number one plug and turned the engine over and got a good spark.

Still same issue, never once even tried to run rough, just nothing until a little gas then backfire.

I am at my wits end, I do not think anything else could have changed. When I removed the distributor, I did not move the car an inch, or turned the engine over, i chalked the wheels, applied the handbrake and left the garage basically locked until I put the rebuilt one on.

Because the engine doesn't run I can not check the timing.

Any thoughts. I am not very mechanically incline.

The only thing odd is that it comes with a grey wire used for the tach, but I talked to the builder and said I do not need that wire and can clip it off due to the fact the rpm is controlled by the ignition box,which is the way he had it set up. The one I removed had it clipped off and again worked great.

ANY help is appreciated.