View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
What I'm afraid of is, especially with a mild 390, the car will only seem too fast for about six weeks. If I can put the pedal to the floor and hold it there and wish it had more, it's not fast enough. A 428 CJ could do it, or as I said, a center oiler 427.

A well built 390 with a mild cam and the right components will roast the tires on the street. Even a moderate built 428 will overwhelm the independent rear suspension in an ERA, especially with 15" wheels if you go authentic on wheels. I went a little to radical on my 428 the first go-around, and (honestly) felt my previous 428 with 100 less horsepower was just about as fast when it was able to hook up. You have to remember, this is a 2500lbs car with an FE in it, with a 90" wheelbase, and going too radical on the street can actually be dangerous. Talk to Peter and Bob, and really listen. We've all been through it. It all becomes 20/20 after you've been through a few cars and motors. I've seen people spend $25K on a "great" motor and completely miss the boat in other areas and wind up with something no better or faster at the track or on the 1/4 mile.