View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

I have a leaking Ford 9" differential....I can't tell where the leak is coming from, it just needs differential lube with unusual frequency. I can tell that when the pumpkin was last installed they used silicone rather than a gasket, but the leak seems to drip off the lowest part of the live axle assembly, the lower bracket for the parallel 4-bar rear suspension.

It only leaks off the driver's side, though....so, I'd say that limits the "leak" to the axle bearings on the driver's side.

Does anyone else agree? I can't find a trail of oil/lube on the differential tubing anywhere, in fact I thought for a while that perhaps they burned a hole in the housing when they welded on the brackets for the 4-bar suspension.

Any other ideas? I'm interested in doing the work for myself, but if not I'd like to know what might be wrong so when I take it to a mechanic I can discuss the issue intelligently.

Thanks! Hoping others will chime in on this thread!

Cheers, Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!