View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Finally an update for your guys!

I've been battling clutch/bell housing clearance issues for the last two weeks and it has been finally resolved thanks to Brent. After trying a few different parts, different mounting brackets, and different ways, we went with a diaphragm clutch from McLeod instead of a long style type clutch, and that fixed it. The main issue I was having is not enough clearance between the pressure plate and the bell housing, so I could not put the fork in between the two. Anyways, that is over, now to the rest of the build :

I installed all the components yesterday and today. Clutch, fork, bell housing, slave cylinder, and transmission. The transmission was not the easiest thing to install, especially by myself. I could get it as far at the register ring but that is about it. So I used the bolted to bring the tranny flush with the bell housing. But I did not have to crank on the bolts hard at all, I made sure everything went in smoothly, and I hope everything went in correctly... What is the best way to test the tranny for any rubbing or anything like that with the engine out of the car?
After that I installed the dipstick tube. From there I welded one side of the MSD coil bracket, to the dipstick tube support, so I can bolt both of them to the front of the head, and have the coil bracket supported (the coil bracket wasn't long enough to reach the two holes on the front side of the head).
I also mounted the kirkham oil filter adapter plate, and connected the hose to the remote oil filter bracket.
The EFI wiring harness install is coming along slowly. I have to figure out if the Kirkham has a fuel pump and fan relay because I need to tap into both of those for the computer.
I made a bracket for the new pump, which is much bigger then the previous Holley pump. I mostly have to go get some bolts in order to finish that project. And lastly I have put together a lot of different AN lines for the fuel system.

Basically I am close to dropping the engine in, which is pretty damn exciting! Anyways, that is all for now. I will try to stay on top of the updates

Here are some pics:

The long style pressure plate (top), it sticks out a lot more then the new diaphragm type pressure plate.

The new McLeod clutch kit

The tranny and the rest installed. In these pictures I took out one of the covers on the tranny, cleaned out the factory black sealant, and replaced it with some red rtv.

Finally making some progress! This engine is so big!