View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Having been through my fair share of engine problems and put some thought into the situation, here is my simple solution.

The problem usually seems to be that the warranty expires after a year (or two with the bigger builders). With daily drivers that is adequate. However, most of us just put on a few thousand miles a year. So when an engine that is 3 years old with 4,000 miles on it goes bad we have a problem. The builder is completely within his rights to say they are not responsible but the customer has an essentially new motor that has gone bad.

If there was a, i dont know, 5,000 or 7000 mile caveat on the warranty maybe there would be less consumers feeling slighted. Maybe the number is more, i dont know. I dont see why any major engine components should fail within that number of miles. If it does, then there is a problem with the builder or the components they are using.

What should a consumer expect out of their engine? SHOULD this guy be OK with the performance of his engine? Can the builder really say that this is an exceptable out come when buying one of thier products?