Thread: Kirkham vs. ERA
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

From what I understand, it'd be at least nine months, possibly longer, to have a new ERA built for me. And that is, I believe, from when the process actually begins (although I could be wrong about that). So, yeh, I'm assuming at least an entire year. Fortunately, I'm not in a rush, so the time lag isn't a problem.

The cost of the new ERA I'd be interested in is similar to, perhaps a bit less than the cost of a used Kirkham, so that's why I'm expanding the search. Also, there is a lovely used Kirkham for sale in my area, already SB-100 compliant and nicely set up, which adds even more desirability to an already very desirable car.

Honestly, both choices would completely top out my budget. As you may recall, prior to learning more about my options, I was originally in a significantly lower price range. Which does worry me a little, not leaving much of a reserve for that initial round of maintenance for immediately after the car is acquired, especially the more used it is. Not to mention fixing this and modifying that as the months go by.

So that's kind of a summary of where the search is at present. Really pushing the upper limits of the budget and a bit beyond what I initially felt was a comfortable sum. But I also know there is a comfortable lower limit, too, below which I'd likely be dissatisfied and probably wish I'd never spent the money in the first place.

I do agree that seeing both the ERA and Kirkham shops in person would be a great learning experience. But at least I'm getting to see and drive the cars for myself, which in its own way is extremely helpful.

Last edited by Flygirl; 10-25-2011 at 06:25 PM..