Thread: Kirkham vs. ERA
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Since you posted this on the Kirkham forum, I figure you have determined that ERA is the closest build to the pinnacle of replicas, the Kirkham. I used to live in CT and visited ERA several times and checked out their GT40 before buying my RCR GT40. One of those visit included my uncle Roy who purchased an ERA Cobra and built it in his garage. He is meticulous and built a beautiful cobra with a 428 we pulled out of a monster truck and his son rebuilt. An absolutely beautiful car. Anyway...sorry...had several of my secret margarita recipe. Now where was I...oh yes...I was faced with the same choice last year. ERA or Kirkham and arrived at these two manufacturers as the best from an accuracy and quality perspective. You can not go wrong with either, but for me the aluminum body was the deciding factor. I've built six kits each a different body style from a different manufacturer, but never a cobra. For me, the lure of aluminum cobra was too strong.

You've already tipped your hand. The Kirkham for sale you passed on is less that you will pay for a new one with those features. Even if you didn't go with the ss frame, once you add a brushed finish or paint you are over the asking price. if you are going to order one new, get in the ERA queue now. Otherwise, keep looking around. I good deal one a great cobra that meets your requirements is only an ad away.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA