Thread: Kirkham vs. ERA
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Other ideas?

Natalie,

Not to rattle your brain any more that what you are now, but are you absolutely dead set on a 427 street car with no rollbar?

The reason I ask is based on some of the feedback on some of the prior questions and answers. You indicated you want to do a bit of driving and periodic "trips". When I hear someone wanting to do trips, having a big block 4 speed car starts to fade out of vision a bit for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my BB 4 speed 427 car, but if I was going to do more road trips the first thing that comes to my mind is sweet little FIA car, nice 331 small block setup, 5 speed transmission, nimble, and a little better fuel efficiency. Super fun cars! Kirkham, ERA, either one. If you are patient, you might be able to find one a little closer to your budget and have a little headroom to help take the edge off a bit. Worst case you could try it, drive it for a few years, go all over the place with it, have fun, meet a lot of people and see what you think. If in 2-3 years you still must have a 427 BB car, authentic, you could sell the FIA/SB car and upgrade then after you put some miles on the first car. Just another option. Those little FIA cars are sweet when set up right are the perfect trip and road car for more regular trips. If I could, I'd have one of each. Just posing the question as one other possible option while you are working hard to make sense of it all. Many of us here have owned several iterations of Cobras before settling on any one. The first one makes you appreciate the second one, and vice versa, and so on. Good Luck on the journey.