View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What causes an engine to 'buck' at low speeds?

I've been pondering the idea of a FE powered Cobra; that's why I'm posting here.

One thing I've noticed is that some cars I've driven seem to have a tendency to buck or surge at lower speeds.

Driving very slowly at, say, 10mph in first gear. If I add just a little power, not really to accelerate but to maintain that speed, some cars I've driven seem to 'buck' (I don't know how else to describe it).

It's this sudden, unwanted, repeated brief application of a little more power, having nothing do with the position of the throttle pedal.

It makes the car surge forward very briefly, then not, then surge again.

To me it feels like the engine rocks in its mounts and something with the geometry of the throttle linkage causes a slight opening of the throttle, which accentuates that cycle.

I know I'm not explaining it well, but I also felt this tendency in a Porsche 993 Carrera I used to own. Creeping along in first, if I didn't apply the throttle very delicately, the car would do the same thing.

What causes this? Does it really have anything to do with the geometry of the throttle linkage? The highest powered, most highly modified Cobra I've driven so far didn't do this, but two others have, and I can't quite understand why.

It doesn't seem to be a result of the state of tune of the engine, at least that's how it appears to me.

Last edited by Flygirl; 11-17-2011 at 12:28 AM..