View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
I don't have much experience with 2x4s beyond the original medium riser set I have (Holley list 3300/list 3301, also known as the BC/BD set). I love them, and I believe Ford must have spent a lot of time selecting their carbs for these engines. Though these are based on the 4160, they don't seem to have many common parts to other models.

I have had great luck running the original setup so if it were me, I'd buy a set of the original Holley BJ/BK reproduction low-riser carbs tuned for your intake from Carl's Ford Parts. The original linkage is available from Greg Donohue Restorations. They are very straight-forward to setup and tune and are very street able. Also, lots of good info on this subject over on the FE forum.
I believe it's the BC/BD carbs that I recall reading recommendations on before, although I forgot they were for the MR motor. Sounds like the BJ/BK carbs are what I should have been thinking. My current carbs appear to basically be 4160 non-emissions, street/competition carbs according to my Holley book.

What are the BJ/BK carbs and how do they mostly vary from the later 4160/1850 carbs I have?

Thanks

Except for a last measure of original appearance, is there any reason I shouldn't expect the 4160/1850 carbs to perform well on the street? I have the Blue Thunder reproduction throttle linkage on the motor.