View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

If my understanding is correct, the FE intake manifolds have a built-in "power angle" of 4 degrees to allow for the downward slope of the rear of the motor. This was done originally in production autos to help make the transmission tunnel smaller. The power angle also therefore allowed the carbs to sit level while the engine sloped downwards. In the Cobra, if you installed the engine and tranny with the 4 degree slope, the rear of the tranny would nearly drag on the ground. Therefore, Shelby installed the engine/tranny assembly nearly level. In order to correct the 4 degree power angle built into the carb mounting pads on the intake, he commonly used marine wedge spacers in the reverse position to correct the 4 degree slope. Marine engines use these spacers for the same reason. I do believe these wedged spacers are still available from marine suppliers who deal in marine V-8 application parts. Moroso also makes one, part #65030 for about $42 each.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."