View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
davids2toys Dave you said nothing about a leak??? Where is the leak? This will also tell us if we are pulling the trans for a repair. Rear yoke seal can be done in the car. If this is it check out the tailshaft bushing for play. Might need to replace that too. Top cover is a gasket, rtv will work fine if the surfaces are clean and the area gets a 24 hour total cure time. The rtv need to be at a min temp also. Might have to heat the garage to get a good cure. Shift fork seals are easy. The only seals left are the front input housing seal or tail shaft gasket. Would be easier to do on a bench. As far as the oil, recover it and save it after repairs. Run it through a strainer for any partials. As far as finding GL-4 gear lube. The only other place mighht be at a truck stop. The small amount of mixing fluids is not going to kill the trans. Rick L. Ps Dave happy holidays.
Rick, thanks for all the info...I think it is the tail shaft gasket, the part held to the main body by approximately 6 bolts. This is not a huge leak and I have no interest in fixing it at the moment. I figured one day I will have to pull the tranny and I would address it then. It is only a few drops after sitting for a day or two. The tranny operates perfectly at this time!
As I said, the oil is 18 years old with 18,000 miles on it, I want to change it.
Same for the rear for that matter.
Dave