View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Different names for Posi rear carriers

davids2toys Dave there are about 10-15 different posi carriers for sale that all do about the same thing. This is to apply power to both rear tires evenly. There are gear types, clutch types, cones types, heli gear, and air types. Your rearend is a clutch type unless ERA put in an aftermarket. For the best preformance out of the posi, change the fluid every other year. Remove the cover and clean the best you can. refill the rearend and drive. THIS is important, go to a parking lot and do tight circles in both directions. This gets the fluid between the clutch packs and the new friction modifier on the discs. I do about 5 and 5 2 times. best test after this is to wet a patch on the road and do a small burn out to see if both tires spin. The water makes it easier on the diff and car to check. The other way is to get a person to hold the other wheel and measure with a torque wrench how much resistance there is before the diff carrier slips. Would need to find the spec on this from my manual. Clutch packs due wear out over time or the springs inside the rearend get soft. I spent the money and went with a Locker rearend that is mechanical. No clutches. It is harder on the street and sometimes drags a wheel around a turn. Other thing is a rearend cover to help strengthen the carrier caps and stop cap walking. This is more for abuse or racing than street cruising. I over build any part I can because of track racing and autocross. As for the tranny fluid, new trannies now run automatic trans fluid in them. It's all how the trans is setup with clearances and wear and tear. I also think it's about how good the trans gets fluid to all locations, lubes and cools gears and bearings inside the case. I couple of guys run coolers and pumps for helping cool the trans. I have a kit for this buit have tryed just a small 4" blower fans to move the dead hot air from the tunnel of the car. It seams to help the rear inboard brakes as well to push out that hot air also. Rick L.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 11-29-2011 at 03:22 AM..