View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

I'm getting really close to starting mine. I have the engine harness complete, and the megasquirt/MDS under dash part wired. I included a 4 position weatherpack connector so I can unplug the MDS box and let megasquirt directly fire the coil. I've read too many stories about the MDS boxes randomly crapping out to not have some suspenders with my belt. But I will say, the MDS box is a effin frlame thrower. Instead of a little tick, the sparkplug sounds like morris code with a test tone. If actually makes the spark plug warm to the touch after a a few minutes.

I have my home made stainless tank installed and plumbed, and no leaks when I energize the pump. My temporary low buck (under $200) side pipes are welded up( for the most part)

Anyway, the dizzy is plugged into the harness and spun with a drill. The injectors tick (pump is disconnected for now) when I add their power, and all of the sensors are giving reasonable and stable readings. I have my home made stainless tank installed and plumbed, and no leaks when I energize the pump. I need 6 more hours of welding and grinding on my side pipes. The body is only on with 2 bolts right now, so I'll pull it off, add fluids and fire it up in the next 2 weeks.

So far, the MS project has been fairly smooth. I think if I can get it to start and idle, it's all over but the crying. I think the tuning will be the easy part. The laptop and an o'scope lets you easily find all of the problems. I did have to chase down one problem with the spark control setup, but it was trivial. The output needs to be set the opposite what the docs recommend to trigger the MDS and I installed the pots backwards on the board, so you turn them the opposite way to adjust the VR trigger. I do have a little more noise than I hoped for, so I have to run a little higher hysteresis than I would like, thus requiring a faster cranking speed before I get a tach signal, but if it's a problem, I'll add a HEI module on the engine to amplify the dizzy output before it goes into the harness. We'll see after I get the oil pump primed, dizzy on and starter bolted up and wired to the batt.

I'm dieing to hear this beast!!

Edit. I added pics of the engine with harness and accessories. I made all of the brackets for the Alt, A/C compressor, idler and coil.
Attached Images

Last edited by Luce; 12-04-2011 at 09:19 AM..