View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     
Default Working side pipes now legal in South Australia

Yes its true, a cobra can now be registered in SA if it meets noise,and shielding requirements. This of course is a big benefit to owners because of the extra clearance under the car and the removal of heat from under the floor. The car needs to be under 90 db of noise measured at both sides of the car. This has been possible since 2005 because of a change in ADR 42/04 however it has not been widely known. Recently a car has been registered here and therefor some enquiries made to establish and confirm the present position.
I can report I have seen documentation from Transport SA confirming that MA category (ICV) read Cobra ,Clubman, are not restricted under the ADR. However this is only for later 3rd edition vehs ie. post 1/7/88 approval, and not vehs that operate under the Road Traffic Act.
As a background I believe there were other changes to ADRs at that time, such as 1.Ok for central position of speedo in mini cooper cars 2. Reversing light not being center of car. 3 Rear red fog light, chrome instrument bezels etc