View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

First off there are very few people that have actually built more than one brand. But, reading a lot of build sites will give you an idea of the work involved and the quality. Also, understand that few will tell what they really think about the quality of the kit they built for fear of the company going out of business and their car being worth less. The question that was asked was "Best Cobra Companies", not best kit. The two may not be the same. A good designed kit can be worth nothing if the quality has been run into the ground by a currently bad managed company.

Various versions of the question have been asked over the years but there are no easy answers. Some very knowledgeable people will not bother to answering these types of threads anymore because they are so many past ones that address the issue. After having gone through this process and having some regrets after I learned and learned and am still learning. This is what I would do.
1. Be honest about your skill level. Some kits are a lot harder than others. If you don't have "a lot of skills" just buy the best one you can within your budget.
2. Determine your budget. Lower priced kits will run in the mid and upper 20K area to complete and it just keeps going up from there.
3. Be honest about your commitment to this type of project. It can be very frustrating when things are not like putting together a model that you envisioned. Many are a kit in name only. You may get a bunch of parts and the manual may be junk, and many of the parts may vary in quality.
4. Go to the plant and actually look at the parts and talk to the people. Ask for the names of the last five or so people that have bought the kit so you can contact them. Everything you wanted to know about the FFR cars is over on the FFR site. Those guys are dead honest about the problems they have. The new version is a lot better than the older ones. Regardless, actually go and see the parts and body unassembled, even at someone’s home that just got one. Old body molds create a ton of extra work, so run your hand over the body and look at the seams to see if they are tight and small. I have been told molds should not be used more than about 200 cars. I had places in my body where clay was used to fill the voids in the mold.
5. When you talk to people determine if they were a builder or a buyer. Builders have been through the process and the learning was in the doing.
6. Understand that the company that built a friends car may not be the same today as it was yesterday. Key people quit companies all the time and money is tight, and the quality may not be the same today as it was a year ago. Today information must be current!!
6. Make sure you undrstand what parts you are getting. From experience get the one that is the most complete. It can cost a ton in gas just going to get bolts and it all adds up in build time lost.
7. Get a manual and read it. If the manual is not good move on.
8. This really should be first. If you are married and you want to stay married, have your wifes support. If you don't stop now!
9. As one of my friends said, don't become "Cobra drunk" where it all looks good.

This being said, I believe ERA and Hurricane Motor Sports are the top on my list. Kirkhams are in a league all their own and are not a kit. From there it really gets tough and requires a lot of work to have the least regrets.

Good luck.
Wayne