View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

If your budget allows for an extremely accurate high-end, aluminum-bodied Cobra recreation, check out Shelby American Shelby American Inc. and Kirkham Motorsports Kirkham Motorsports.

If you want a really nice fiberglass bodied Cobra that is accurate (read that sleek, low and well-proportioned from all angles - like the original) there are a few good companies to choose from. These companies will equip their cars with the preferred independent rear suspension (IRS) as standard equipment or at least offer it as a factory option. Most will allow you to buy anything from a basic body and frame, to a painted roller minus drivetrain to a turnkey car completed by a preferred assembler. These companies can provide you with all the parts needed to complete your project. Having no idea of your budget or priorities, here are the ones I recommend giving a looksee:

ERA Era Replica Automobiles - Makers of the 427, 289FIA, and GT40 replicas has a stellar reputation for its beautiful body, high quality and sound engineering. The cars are built to order and there is a bit of a wait from the time you place your deposit to the time you get your car. Respected as the top of the line in fiberglass replicas.

Unique Motorcars Unique Motorcars is, I believe, the oldest surviving Cobra replica manufacturer in the business. They build a beautiful, accurate and well engineered car that goes together easily and has the "right" look and stance. You can buy anything from them in packages to assemble as time and budget allow, but their "Deluxe Pallet Kit" is one of the best options in the world of Cobra replicas. I own one and I can attest to their quality and the high level of support from the manufacturer and the owners community at Unique Forums . Highly recommended.

Factory Five Racing (FFR) Factory Five Racing built a virtual empire and a huge following by providing enthusiasts with an affordable Cobra replica that could be either completed on a budget using donor parts from a late model Mustang or built more expensively as a "non-donor" car using factory parts and components. The body had some readily identifiable quirks that set them apart visually from the more "accurate" brands. The basic car has a nice round tube chassis with solid rear axle, but IRS is a factory option. The new "Mark IV" body does away with most of the quirkiness and is much more accurate in appearance.

Hurricane Hurricane Motorsports - 427 Roadsters is a recently reincarnated brand that provides a very nice looking car that seems to go together very well, particularly after benefiting from engineered-in improvements gleaned from inputs provided by customer/builders. Like FFR, the basic kit is equipped with a solid axle but IRS is a factory option.

Superformance Superformance | Home is a popular way to go if you want a car complete in every way minus engine and transmission installation. Consistent assembly-line quality and a long list of standard features is what you get for your money along with a dedicated, factory-backed owners support group.

There are others like the awesome but limited production Carbon Fiber replica by Roger Bolick that takes accuracy to an entirely different level, and there are still others with varying degrees of concession to accuracy, quality and cost. These are only my suggestions as a starting point - others will have their recommendations. Ultimately your choice will boil down to what matters most to you.

Do some searches on this site - there are enough pictures, detailed discussions and documented build threads to make your head spin. Get out there and meet your local Cobra guys and look closely at the different brands. The more information you acquire, the more you'll find yourself being steered towards your perfect Cobra. Happy hunting.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...