View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default FE / TKO-600 Clutch Problems.

Greetings all, First post here..

I'm trying to resolve what appears to be a clutch related issue with a 68.5 428CJ Mustang and figured that you guys probably had the largest installed base of TKO transmissions on Ford FE motors of any forum around. Here's the deal
  • Original 4 speed car fresh out of restoration, stock rebuild
  • All stock Ford clutch linkage, Bell housing, CJ release lever, Z bar, etc.
  • Complete TKO-600 conversion from Keisler with SPEC phase 2 diaphram clutch
For months we've had a ton is issues with wrong parts being supplied, first the wrong disk, then wrong TO bearing, now I suspect we have the wrong PP or a mix of 'large' hole vs 'small' hole PP and/or TO bearing.

If I adjust the free play so that I have 1" or so of free pedal (like my other 5 speed GT350 and BOSS2 car), I can not get the car into gear when running, not even close. If I adjust the linkage to be able to shift (and even then it's hard), the TO bearing is WAY into the clutch fingers at all times, so far in that it's hard to adjust the linkage.

The original PP they sent me was the 'large' hole version with the fingers curving out toward the transmission. We never got to fire that up because they shipped the 'small' hole TO bearing that tried to push right through the finger opening. The fingers on the current 'small' hold PP curve back in toward the flywheel.

Wondering if I would ever have a drivable car again i gave up and ordered a new McLeod 12" diaphram kit advertised to work with the 428 CJ and aftermarket trans (1 1/8" IP 26 spline). It has yet to arrive. Visiting this site, I realize that I should have contacted Brent to purchase a new kit, I've sure he's been through this many, many times.

I have high confidence that all the linkage, pedal, Z bar, etc is correct and is virtually new, even replaced the Z bar thinking (hoping) it was tweaked. No such luck.

When the new clutch arrives I'll compare the hight of the fingers off the flywheel, and the TO bearing height.

Seems that the existing clutch requires more travel than the stock linkage will provide. McLeod also has adjustable TO bearing I could try, perhaps the existing set up has the "U" end of the release lever too far forward at rest and it in a overcenter situation..

I also notice that I can move the end of the release lever up and down (toward the ground) a inch or more as it moves on the "L" pivot inside the bell. The other end of the release bearing tends to want to walk off the bearing on one side during its travel and pop out of the retaining clip..

Sorry for the book, just been fighting this crap since August.

Any suggestions?

Thank you....

Last edited by johnkn; 12-12-2011 at 07:52 PM..