View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

Kevin-
Congratulations on ordering your ERA - you won't be dissappointed!
I would let the guys at ERA farm out the paint - the shops they use know the cars well. I ordered mine with body bonded to the chassis, less paint. Took an extra nine months with my painter (an excruciating wait). I did get an exceptionally nice paint job (and at least one "Best Paint" show award to go with it), but I think I spent a lot more money than if I'd had ERA do it.

I fitted my soft top myself. Wasn't that bad - I had to do a lot of custom work to it because I laid my windshield back so much. I modified the hoops and everything to make it fit (because of my mods, not an issue with parts supplied by ERA), and had a friend who has an industrial sewing machine add in the bootie for the roll bar. It's probably not as smooth and taut as if the guys at ERA had installed it, but it's sufficient - have only put it up two or three times in 15 years anyway.

One word of caution - if you have the header bar powder-coated, you may have to grind off the powder-coating where the top material wraps around and glues to it - 3M Super Adhesive just wouldn't stick on the powder coat - had to grind it off and re-glue.

Jeff