CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to mmciau
Not Ranked     
Default Prostate Cancer - My Journey

PROSTATE CANCER
PROSTATE ANTIGEN SERUM (PSA) BLOOD TEST
TO ME, IT IS A GOOD BLOOD TEST INDICATOR FOR POTENTIAL TROUBLE!

My journey!!.

Since 2003, I have been having annual Blood Tests to monitor my general health (heart, cholesterol levels, etc.). Included in the regime of Tests was the PSA Test.

In January 2007, there was an increase in the PSA reading to 2.7 (still ‘inside’ the acceptable margins for my age). In March 2008, the PSA reading was 4.5. In August 2008 I had a blood test primarily for another illness, my PSA reading was 5.4.

At that time, my Doctor at the Morphettville Medical Centre Dr Vince Signorelli alerted me to the rising PSA levels and strongly suggested I be referred to an Urologist for further examination. (I recall my immediate reaction back to Dr Signorelli was that “I felt fine, there’s nothing wrong with me!!!!”)

From the list shown to me by my GP, I selected an Urologist that was regionally near to my home.

I was seen by Dr John Miller, Urologist on 23 September 2008. At that consultation, he examined the Data Sheet of the PSA Blood Test Results that I had, he inquired about my general well being including any prevailing medical conditions and he performed a Digital Rectal Examination (DRE). (I state here that there is some discomfort but it is only for a minute or so. In the grand scale of Life matters, it is nothing!)

Dr Miller told me that he couldn’t feel any abnormalities on the Prostate during that DRE. (I recall again at that time that I said to Dr Miller that “I felt fine and everything was OK!!”) He said that may be true but he would like to be absolutely sure so he recommended without any hesitation that I should undertake a Biopsy to determine the exact status of the Prostate.

On 9 October 2008, I was admitted to Hospital as a Day Surgery Patient. I was given a General Anaesthetic that put me asleep for approximately 50 minutes. The Biopsy was performed by Dr Miller and he used the Transperineal biopsy method. (He selected this method because I had an existing medical condition which ruled out using the more widely used Transrectal biopsy method.).

On 15 October 2008, I, together with my wife, saw Dr Miller at his Consulting Rooms. He stated clearly from the outset that “you have Prostate Cancer!!”

(At this point I must stress to anyone reading this is that I believe it is absolutely essential that you take someone along with you to such a consultations/outcome meetings because the other person will hear and understand what is being said to you because you are in a form of Shock and you just don’t take in all that is being said to you).